How can you get the word out about your latest release without spending more than you earn? Many authors are forming groups for advertising and getting more ad space for their buck. A group of electronically published authors contributed $10.00 each for a full page ad in Romance Writers of America’s monthly magazine. Many of these authors would not be able to afford such a large ad on their own.
Other authors are joining forces to insert flyers in Romantic Times and other large magazines. What are some ways forming a group of promotion savvy writers can help boost your name recognition?
* Splitting the cost of high priced ads and making it possible to get your name in front of a magazine with a large readership.
* When at a booksigning or presentation, take along flyers, bookmarks and covers from the rest of your group. This gets their name to a readership they might not otherwise have a chance to meet (*Note: This works really well with a group of authors in different states).
* Form a website that features more than one author. When a friend or family member visits one, they will also see the others, making the hits add up quickly.
* Bounce ideas off one another. Three or four heads are better than one.
* Run contests offering a basket filled with books from the group and other goodies. Again, this increases name recognition but the cost to individual authors is minimal.
* Form a listserv with your group’s name. Other writers will join the list and again the authors’ name recognition will be increased (*Note: OneList offers a free listserv that’s easy to set up and moderate. http://www.onelist.com).
* Write press releases and split up distribution to both online and offline resources. You will cover more space with more authors mailing the releases out.
* Take time to breathe, support one another, and have fun.